Tuesday, March 15, 2005

freezing

my mom loves to freeze stuff. obvious things like steaks and chicken breasts, yes, but also nuts and spices, syrup and baguettes and once i swear i came upon frozen olive oil in the freezer at our old country house. as a result i am a bit freezer averse, but there are a few things for which i make an exception.

i have a cookbook i inherited from my mom (stole), written by the owner/chefs of a now-defunct restaurant. called "the frog commissary," it sounds vaguely mooosewood-ish with its down-home, community-oriented vibe, unpretentious recipes, and hand illustrated designs.

there is one particular recipe that has stolen my heart. i love these pancakes fresh, but also, they freeze incredibly well. put 3 or 4 in a ziploc baggie, throw them in the freezer. when ready to eat them, just plop them in a toaster oven or in the actual oven.

OATMEAL SUNFLOWER SEED PANCAKES

½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¾ cup raw sunflower seeds
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp corn oil
2 cups milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 5-7 minutes until light brown
Cool and combine with other dry ingredients

Beat together oil, milk and egg
Add wet ingredients to dry ones and stir to combine
Cook pancakes on greased griddle

Serve with sliced bananas and maple syrup.

1 comment:

Amy said...

We have a coffin freezer. I mean, I could seriously lie in it. But still I am not a big freezer. I'm just not used to it, I forget that things are there. I have a million cookbooks but none will tell me definitively when things are no good from the freezer.

But, Vic's dad goes fishing in Alaska every year and the freezer is full of wild salmon. I won't turn up my nose at that.