Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Beet this


Every week in my CSA, they're giving me beets. Big, small, red, yellow, white--they are delicious, and also beautiful, and I have been eating them the same way every day for a week.

Beet/Ricotta/Baguette
(In my head, this is tres francais. je ne sai pas si c'est vrai, mais....)

Scrub your beets, then wrap them tightly, one at a time, in foil

Roast them at 45o for an hour or more, depending on their size, until a knife slides in easily
Once they've cooled, peel off them skins
Chop them into cubes (I believe the professionals call this a dice)

drizzle with olive oil, red wine vinegar
pop 'em in the fridge

Next day, at lunch:
Take a hunk of your favorite, freshest baguette
Rip it open into a sandwich

Smear fresh, amazing ricotta onto each half of the bread

Spoon beet mixture onto each side

sprinkle with sea salt or kosher salt
grind some black pepper on top
you've got 2 open faced sandwiches

No comments: